Saturday, March 12, 2011

Purpose

I realize that I have neglected this blog. And that is not to say that my life has been uneventful. I have accomplished many things since the last time I visited here. I have tried to live my life within my "calling" and not just to "do". Yet there are times that I know that I have failed....or could have improved. Re-reading other posts, it seems that one issue I struggle with is how to parent my son. My 23 year old son who lives at home, but has no "purpose" in his life. He uses his musical talents at church. He has an awesome group of friends and loves to socialize. He even has a "relationship" and can help someone out at the last minute. But what of his "life's work" and earning a living? Life doesn't always go according to plan. Two years have passed and still my prayer is that he will find a job. Times are tough!!! I am very grateful for a God who provides our needs. Yet am I helping or enabling by paying the bills? Should I let him suffer HUGE consequences by defaulting on his college loans (or get them deferred)? This isn't a "I'll just pay it for him since he doesn't have a job" kind of thing. Each of those payments are being kept track of for future repayment. But he will be behind before he can ever catch up.

Re-reading this, he DOES have a purpose. Yet it doesn't look like the world's definition. Can I live with that? Is this what you are trying to teach me Lord?

We all have a purpose. Some find their purpose quickly. Some take their time and make sure that their purpose fits. God has given me four beautiful children with their own dreams and a purpose for each life. How do I nurture those dreams and encourage them in their purpose and help them to fly? Some of them are on their way. Some still have some growing to do.

Lord, strengthen me for helping my children find purpose in YOU first and then Your purpose for their days. Thank You for being here, before I arrived at this place and for going ahead into the "unknown" that is known to you.

No comments: